Request Info
HutchCC garden


Dragon Tradition

The Blue Dragon, HutchCC’s official mascot, was selected by student vote in 1930. Affectionately known as Duke, the Blue Dragon is a part of HutchCC tradition.

Dragon Tradition 1930
Dragon Tradition 1957
Dragon Tradition 1962
Dragon Tradition 1995

History & Highlights

Hutchinson Community College, a fully accredited, public comprehensive college, offers five degrees in Associate of Arts, Associate of Science, Associate of General Studies, Associate of Fine Arts, and Associate of Applied Science. HutchCC has an open admissions policy and is governed locally by an elected Board of Trustees.

In spring 1928, Hutchinson voters approved the establishment of a two-year co-educational college called the Hutchinson Junior College. The College held its first classes that fall. Enrollment was 187 students – 177 freshmen, 10 sophomores. Classes were held on the second and third floors of a newly constructed addition to Hutchinson High School at Seventh and Walnut. In February 1938, the Board of Education acquired land on Plum Street and built Lockman Hall.

On July 1, 1965, the College name was changed to Hutchinson Community Junior College and governance was transferred to an elected Board of Trustees. The name was changed again in 1980 to Hutchinson Community College. On July 1, 1993, HutchCC merged with the local vocational school and was renamed Hutchinson Community College and Area Vocational School.  The “and Area Vocational School” was removed from the name in 2012.

Additions to HutchCC include an athletic field, stadium, tennis courts, maintenance and warehouse buildings, a student union with two additions, two residence halls, a library, science building, fine arts building, and an athletic complex. The John F. Kennedy Library was completed in 1966 and the Kopke Science Hall was completed in fall 1967.  Elland and Kent Halls, residence halls for men and women, were also opened in 1967.

In April 1970, the College acquired 425 acres of land and buildings from the Hutchinson Air National Guard. They are used primarily for agricultural, emergency medical science, building construction, and technical education courses. This location is called South Campus.

A wing was added to Lockman Hall in 1975. The College acquired Davis Hall (Ninth and Walnut) from Hutchinson Hospital Corporation in 1980. It is used for allied health curricula, Radio Kansas (HutchCC's public radio station), The Volunteer Center, Kansas Small Mine Safety and Occupational Safety.

Stringer Fine Arts Center was opened January 1989.  A major addition to the Parker Student Union was completed in 1996In 1999 the College built Shears Technology Center to house vocational programs and technical labs. On April 27, 2003, after major renovation, the library was renamed the Rimmer Learning Resource Center, after John Rimmer, chairman of HUBCO and major contributor to the College.

In fall 2006, a renovated Gowans Stadium reopened for use. The stadium hosts a variety of high school, college, regional and national events.  In 2008, the Reno County Industrial Center was renovated and expanded. The new facility was reopened in fall and as the Ade-Wifco RCIC to recognize the contributions of Fred Ade and the Wifco Corporation.

The science hall was revamped into a modern scientific facility and was renamed the Richard E. Smith Science Center to recognized the major contributions of local entrepreneur and alumnus Richard Smith in 2010.

In September 2013 the College dedicated the Bob and Lou Peel Allied Health Center at Ninth and Main to house five Allied Health programs — Physical Therapy Assistant, Respiratory Therapy, Health Information Management, Surgical Technology, and Pharmacy Technology.

On April 26, 2015 the new Fire Science Training Center was dedicated.  This project was completed in conjunction with the City of Hutchinson Fire Department. The College also utilizes the Hutchinson Sports Arena, providing maintenance of the building in exchange for its use.

The College has multiple off-campus locations: McPherson, Newton, Fire Science, Allied Health (Davis Hall and Peel Center) and Cosmetology. The Newton location is housed in the Axtell Educational Center at 203 East Broadway Street in Newton, Kansas and opened in 2008.  The McPherson location, at 2208 Plaza East Place in McPherson, Kansas, opened in 2010. HutchCC Cosmetology, located at 200 E. 3rd Avenue in Hutchinson, Kansas, opened in 2016.

The Jack Mull family Football Complex, renovated in the spring of 2015, houses the coaches’ offices, meeting space, locker rooms, and the Bob and Lou Peel Weight Training Center.

Thanks to the support of the City of Hutchinson and the voters of Hutchinson, the Hutchinson Sports Arena underwent a $29 million renovation project that was completed in the spring of 2017.  The project included the addition of three new practice gyms, a new weight training and sports medicine facility and renovated locker rooms and office for the athletic department.

5000 students per semester
average student age 24
student to teacher ratio 18 to 1
clubs and organizations
128 full time instructors
1045 graduates in 2023
55 percent of grads in career and technical program
74 areas of study