HCC's Business Management & Entrepreneurship Program hosts forums every Spring and Fall at the Shears Technology Center Justice Theater. Successful business owners and operators share insights, experiences, tips and suggestions and they candidly answer questions. Past featured speakers: Fran Jabara - Venture Capitalist, Mert Sellers - Luminous Neon, Bob Brown - Mega Mfg, Kevin Bowen - Airport Steak House, Matt Lowen - Lowen Corp, Ben Miller - Stutzman's Greenhouse, Ron Oberg - Freddy's Frozen Custard, Russ Reinert and Darrel Miller - Central Bank & Trust, Chuck Vecchiarelli - McDonald's, Karen Maness and Mitzi Alexander - Absolutely Flowers, Bob Bush - City Beverage, Scott Mann - Mann Law Offices, Jeanette Richardson - Prairie Bank of Kansas, Tyler Davis - Bogey's, Bob Brower - Boras Corp.
Join us at future forums. Everyone is welcome. Admission is FREE!
Next Forum: November 5, 2015 - Featured Speaker: DENNY STOECKLEIN, GENERAL MANAGER - KANSAS STATE FAIR
Bob Brower played both Football and Baseball at Duke University. His heart was in Baseball. After earning his college degree, he tried out with the Texas Rangers as an undrafted prospect. Though several years of determined effort, he worked his way up through the minor leagues and ultimately earned a spot on the Big League roster. After injuries rendered him unable to continue playing, Scott Boras offered him a job as an agent. Brower was the third person hired in the Boras Corporation - which he helped grow to the most successful sports agency on the planet.
Program Coordinator Dan "Coach Nac" Naccarato was delighted with Brower's presentation and noted that 140 people attended the forum and benefitted from his observations and suggestions. Bob's key pieces of advise:
- Success takes networking. Relationships are the foundation of opportunity and success.
- Tell clients what they NEED to hear – even if they don’t WANT to hear it.
- Focus on what YOU control. Learn to stay confident and persistent through failure.
- When you are doing something that is extremely hard – your heart has to be full to do it.
- When others express doubt about what you can accomplish – use it as motivation. Stay on the path.
- Know WHO you want to be – even if you don’t know WHAT you want to do for a career. Keep making progress.
- Live in the moment. Do the right things. Seize opportunities. Be tenacious.